Tuesday, March 18, 2008

"When are you due"....When are we ready?

A common statement most mothers hear when the waddle begins, the belly expands and the life of another becomes more present. In this pregnancy I have declined to answer, changed the subject and would pretend to not understand the question so I could sit still in the wonder of when my baby and me will be ready to move out of our symbiotic selves and out in a world full of good and evil. Due dates are really an estimation of the time of conception to the 9th month and technology has summed up the awaiting process for anxiously awaiting parents. My dilemma is a scripture that races through my head reminding me to not "boast for tomorrow" Parents have dreams for the unborn that get unleashed during pregnancy and it frightens me that I create a path for my children that is not of our maker. Of course, it's difficult to avoid this being married to a baseball coach as it's pretty obvious he has already reserved seats at the dodger stadium for boys and reminds our girls that they don't need to be cheering for athletes, they too can be one.
I dream too about this growing miracle inside me and at the same time mourn my last days of holding he/she in my body. Every time I hear, "When are you due?" I want to say never because it's not my journey or within my control, just as God planned for us in our mothering. We are reminded that we are not our babies, we are the dirt of God's making creating an extension of living.

2 comments:

Dorina Gilmore said...

Hi Jess,
I love your idea for this new blog! This is a wonderful time to reflect as you embark on this new journey of birth and mothering 4! I am so proud of you and I feel so privileged to have a daily window to your world. God has truly blessed me with your friendship at a time when I need fellow mothers to walk alongside me. Adding colored pieces to your mosaic...
In His Grip,
Dorina

Schultz Family said...

Jess, this is beautiful :) Thank you for sharing your innerthoughts with us. I feel privileged, as Dorina said, to have a window into your world. Bless you, Friend!
Jen